Austrian certification rules for translated documents

Who can certify a translation in Austria?

The Federal Law on Sworn and Certified Court Experts and Interpreters (SDG) defines Austrian certification rules.

In accordance with this law, applicants seeking incorporation in the List of Court Interpreters must prove professional experience as interpreters and/or translators.

  1. Professionals who have higher education translator and/or interpreter training must provide proof of two years’ professional work.
  2. Other applicants must prove five years’ professional work immediately preceding registration.

According to Austrian certification rules, a panel of experts checks translators’ applications. To cover the cost of this panel, the translator must pay a sizeable application fee.

Outside court, the rules are different. Register Offices accept certified translations from the UK, provided the translator has had sight of the original copy and certifies that they have taken their own copy from the original document.

Austrian register offices do accept certified translations from the UK. Please send me your original documents by post, as my certification page must include confirmation that I have had sight of them.


How does the translation certification process work in Austria?

Austrian rules on the procedure of certifying a translated document for use in courts are very strict.

  1. Only translators included in the List of Court Interpreters can certify translated documents for court purposes.
  2. The certification wording is: “I hereby certify under my oath the full conformity of the above translation with the original/transcript/photocopy attached/seen by me”. All other wordings are invalid.
  3. To be valid, the document has to contain details of place and date of certification and the translator’s seal and signature.

For Register Office us, the Vienna Central Register Office confirms that:

  1. Qualified translators from the UK who are members of an official language institute can certify the translation of certificates required to get married in Austria.
  2. The translator must have sight of the original document and take their own copy to append to the certified translation. This must be stated on the certification page.
  3. The certification page must include the translator’s name, contact details, credentials and must be stamped.

Do I need a sworn translator for an Austrian document I intend to use in the UK?

If you have an Austrian document, such as a birth, marriage or divorce certificate, and need the translation for a UK authority, you can use a translator who lives in the UK.

While the UK has no sworn translators, a qualified translator can self-certify their translation (which is usually sufficient for UK use) or go to a notary public to obtain a sworn translation.

If you need a German-speaking translator, please contact me, Erika Baker. I am a highly experienced translator of official documents which need certification or notarisation.

Accurate, confidential, efficient and reliable English-German translations

Professionally qualified German translator into English and English into German, offering first class translation services for commercial, industrial, governmental and private clients.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This