Do you need a certificate of accuracy when getting married abroad?

Living in Germany, France, Spain, Austria or Switzerland you may consider getting married abroad. Maybe you live in the UK but wish for a romantic wedding in a different European country or even further afield? In that case, you may need a translator to render documents like birth certificates or divorce papers, in the language of the country/region of your choice. What is more, you may need to submit a certified translation to the registry office in question.

Additionally, you will need to find reliable sources for details of local requirements: the consulate/embassy web pages of the country you wish to have your marriage ceremony in are the best places to search for this information. Alternatively, having decided on a specific location, you can get all the necessary information from the local registry office abroad.

Actually, many registry offices produce leaflets explaining the process of preparing for a wedding. What is more, they will usually provide them, free of charge, to couples planning a wedding. For Scotland, for example, the General Registrar for Scotland’s website ( is a source offering very detailed information. However, if living in England or Wales, the website is most informative for the relevant procedures on how to marry abroad.

For further general information on certified documents and the certification process visit: Certified translations – Frequently Asked Questions.

Certificate of No Impediment

If you are getting married abroad or if one of the two people planning a wedding is a foreigner in the country of their proposed marriage, you may need a Certificate of No Impediment (CONI).

You must obtain this certificate in the country whose nationality you hold. Ask the registrar at the relevant office whether you need a Certificate of No Impediment. He should also know how to obtain one. Furthermore, he is likely to know the costs involved. Last but not least he can tell you whether you need further documents, e.g. birth certificate and divorce certificate, if previously married.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This