English to Chinese translations, UK
Shu Zhang MSc MA BA
I have been offering English to Chinese translations (simplified Chinese) as a full-time professional freelance language translator since 2006.
While I mainly provide B2B translation services, I also work for private individuals. My certified translations can be used in the UK. Furthermore, I work as an English-Chinese interpreter.
I was born and brought up in China but am now resident in the UK. My mother tongue is Mandarin, which the Chinese government adopted as the national language for China. It is also known as ‘standard Chinese’. As my accent is indistinguishable, clients from everywhere in mainland China can easily understand my spoken Chinese.
Since childhood, I have been fascinated by foreign languages and cultures, which brought me to the UK in 2004.
Initially, I studied law to degree level in China (2000-2–4) and subsequently took MSc Translation Studies at the University of Edinburgh, passing the final exam in 2006. It was 4 years later, in 2010, that I achieved an MA Interpreting at the University of Central Lancashire in the UK.
I translate and interpret between Simplified Chinese (Mandarin) and English from my base in the UK.
In January 2010 I became a Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
Qualifications at a glance
- BA (Hons) Law, Jilin University, China, 2004
- MSc Translation Studies, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2006
- MA Interpreting and Translation, University of Central Lancashire, UK, 2010
- Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (English Law), CIOL, 2009
English to Chinese translations
I am experienced in a wide range of subject areas. I translate documents from English to Chinese and offer proofreading services in areas including:
- Promotional materials for higher education institutions and companies such as University of Aberdeen, Experian and JCB;
- Car industry (marketing materials) e.g. Jaguar, Land Rover, Rolls Royce, McLaren and Bentley;
- Tourism and hospitality (leaflets and brochures);
- Website translation (once full-time translator for Betfred);
- Legal documents (court proceedings, legal reports & contracts);
- Videos, mainly for commercial use (subtitles);
- The fashion industry, such as clothing and jewellery (catalogues and magazines).
Interpreting service offered
I am an experienced simplified Chinese to English interpreter in areas such as:
- Business / Conferences: Ministry of Health, British Council, UK Cabinet Office;
- Legal interpreting: police, courts, law firms, immigration, prison and probation services;
- Community interpreting: NHS, Job Centre Plus, local authorities, education;
- Private interpreting: weddings, commercial and educational.
Business Support Services
Finally, I can provide bespoke cultural awareness training to those who seek to establish trade links with China, visit the country on business or relocate there.
The purpose of the course is to help prepare for dealings with Chinese people in formal and informal settings.
Some key topics that may be covered include: building strong interpersonal relationships with Chinese people, effective cross-cultural communication, Chinese social etiquette and protocol, business entertaining the Chinese way and preparing for trips/relocation to China.
English-Chinese certified translation services
I provide English-Chinese certified translations of official documents such as birth certificates, degree certificates, school leavers’ reports, marriage/divorce certificates etc. for use in the UK.
I offer a 24-hour turnaround on certified translation services. The delivery of notarised translations depends on the availability of the notary public.
For general information on the process of certifying translations, please visit our certification pages. There you’ll also find rules for the certification process in China.
My English to Chinese translation services rates
My translation rates start at £70.00 per 1000 words. The minimum charge for short texts is £30.00. Please send the document through for an exact quotation.
As an interpreter, my rates start at £30.00 per hour for a minimum of two hours. If you email me your job requirements I will send you a detailed quotation.
I accept bank transfers, cheques and PayPal.