Freelance English-Chinese translator, UK
Shu Zhang MSc MA BA
I offer a professional translation and interpreting service and have both MCIL and RPSI status. My experience includes a wide variety of subject areas, contexts and clients. I have been working as a full-time freelance English-Chinese translator since 2006 and pride myself on offering a high quality and reliable service and am equally happy to work as part of a team or individually. I use “simplified Chinese” which is the official written language in China. While I mainly provide B2B services, I also work for private individuals. My certified translations can be used in the UK. Furthermore, I work as a freelance English-Mandarin Chinese interpreter in the Reading area.
Mandarin Chinese native speaker
I was born and brought up in China but am now resident in the UK. My mother tongue is Mandarin, which the Chinese government adopted as the national spoken language for mainland China in 1932. It is also known as ‘standard Chinese’. As my accent is indistinguishable, clients from everywhere in mainland China can easily understand my spoken Chinese.
I came to the UK in 2004 and now live in Reading, Berkshire.
Initially, I studied law to degree level in China (2000-2–4) and subsequently took MSc Translation Studies at the University of Edinburgh, passing the final exam in 2006. It was 4 years later, in 2010, that I achieved an MA Interpreting at the University of Central Lancashire in the UK. I also passed the CIOL’s Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (English Law) exam in 2009.
I translate and interpret between Simplified Chinese (Mandarin) and English from my base in Reading in the UK.
In January 2010 I became a Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
Qualifications at a glance
- BA (Hons) Law, Jilin University, China, 2004
- MSc Translation Studies, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2006
- MA Interpreting and Translation, University of Central Lancashire, UK, 2010
- Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (English Law), CIOL, 2009
English to (simplified) Chinese translations
As a freelance English-Chinese translator I am experienced in a wide range of subject areas. I specialise in law, health, sports, education and marketing.
From my office in Reading, I translate documents from English to Chinese in the following areas:
- Promotional materials for higher education institutions and companies such as University of Aberdeen, Experian and JCB;
- Marketing materials for the car industry e.g. Jaguar, Land Rover, Rolls Royce, McLaren and Bentley;
- Tourism and hospitality (leaflets and brochures);
- Website translation (former full-time translator for Betfred);
- Legal documents (court proceedings, legal reports & contracts);
- Videos, mainly for commercial use (subtitles);
- The fashion industry, such as clothing and jewellery (catalogues and magazines).
I also offer proofreading services in the above areas.
Certified English-Chinese document translations
In my capacity as a freelance English-Chinese translator, I offer certified document translations of many different official papers. These include birth certificates, degree certificates, school leavers’ reports, marriage/divorce certificates etc. My translations are intended for use in the UK. I use the simplified Chinese written language system.
I offer a 24-hour turnaround for certified documents. The delivery of notarised translations depends on the availability of the notary public.
For general information on the process of certifying translations, please visit our certification pages. There you’ll find a detailed description not only of the UK certification process but also of Chinese certification rules.
English-Chinese interpreter (Mandarin), Reading area
I am an experienced Mandarin Chinese to English interpreter who works in Reading and the surrounding area.
The main spoken language in China is Mandarin. My qualifications include an MA in Interpreting and Translation from the University of Lancashire (2010). What is more, I also obtained the Chartered Institute of Linguists’ Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (English Law) in 2009.
The Mandarin Chinese interpreting services I can offer are therefore extensive.
- I am an experienced Business and Conference Interpreter. As such I have worked for the Ministry of Health, British Council and the UK Cabinet Office.
- As a legal interpreter, I have been employed by the police, courts, law firms, immigration, prison and probation services.
- In my role as Chinese community interpreter I have worked for the NHS, Job Centre Plus, local authorities and in educational facilities.
- Last but not least I offer private interpreting services for weddings, commercial and educational purposes in the Reading area.
Chinese Business Support Services
I am happy to use my Chinese linguistic abilities to support businesses in their marketing projects or offer bilingual administrative support. I can, for example:
- Liaise with Chinese solicitors, banks and building societies, government authorities and departments
- Contact relevant parties by telephone to sort out issues immediately, saving you translation costs
- Translate presentations while tailoring the vocabulary to the proficiency of the presenter, coach pronunciation for a presentation
- Interview prospective employees to evaluate their proficiency in the Chinese language
- Take part in (Skype) video conferencing sessions
- Give cultural awareness pointers
Bilingual language support for private clients
- Translate wedding speeches, menus, orders of service. Coach the speaker in pronunciation
- Liaise with estate agents, solicitors, banks and building societies, government departments and authorities for example when buying, selling or managing property abroad
Cultural awareness training for businesses
Finally, I can provide bespoke cultural awareness training to those who seek to establish trade links with China, visit the country on business or relocate there.
The purpose of the course is to help prepare for dealings with Chinese people in formal and informal settings.
Some key topics that may be covered include: building strong interpersonal relationships with Chinese people, effective cross-cultural communication, Chinese social etiquette and protocol, business entertaining the Chinese way and preparing for trips/relocation to China.
My rates as a freelance English to (simplified) Chinese translator
My translation rates start at £80.00 per 1000 words. The minimum charge for short texts is £30.00. Please send the document through for an exact quotation.
As a Mandarin Chinese interpreter, my rates start at £30.00 per hour for a minimum of two hours. If you email me your job requirements I will send you a detailed quotation.
I accept bank transfers and PayPal payments.