Freelance English-Chinese translator, UK
Shu Zhang MSc MA BA
I have been working as a full-time freelance English-Chinese translator (simplified Chinese) since 2006. (Simplified Chinese is the official written language in China.)
While I mainly provide B2B translation services, I also work for private individuals. My certified translations can be used in the UK. Furthermore, I work as a freelance English-Mandarin Chinese interpreter.
Mandarin Chinese native speaker
I was born and brought up in China but am now resident in the UK. My mother tongue is Mandarin, which the Chinese government adopted as the national spoken language for mainland China in 1932. It is also known as ‘standard Chinese’. As my accent is indistinguishable, clients from everywhere in mainland China can easily understand my spoken Chinese.
Since childhood, I have been fascinated by foreign languages and cultures, which brought me to the UK in 2004.
Initially, I studied law to degree level in China (2000-2–4) and subsequently took MSc Translation Studies at the University of Edinburgh, passing the final exam in 2006. It was 4 years later, in 2010, that I achieved an MA Interpreting at the University of Central Lancashire in the UK. I also passed the CIOL’s Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (English Law) exam in 2009.
I translate and interpret between Simplified Chinese (Mandarin) and English from my base in Reading in the UK.
In January 2010 I became a Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
Qualifications at a glance
- BA (Hons) Law, Jilin University, China, 2004
- MSc Translation Studies, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2006
- MA Interpreting and Translation, University of Central Lancashire, UK, 2010
- Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (English Law), CIOL, 2009
English to (simplified) Chinese translations
As a freelance English-Chinese translator I am experienced in a wide range of subject areas. I translate documents from English to Chinese in the following areas:
- Promotional materials for higher education institutions and companies such as University of Aberdeen, Experian and JCB;
- Marketing materials for the car industry e.g. Jaguar, Land Rover, Rolls Royce, McLaren and Bentley;
- Tourism and hospitality (leaflets and brochures);
- Website translation (former full-time translator for Betfred);
- Legal documents (court proceedings, legal reports & contracts);
- Videos, mainly for commercial use (subtitles);
- The fashion industry, such as clothing and jewellery (catalogues and magazines).
I also offer proofreading services in the above areas.
Certified English-Chinese document translations
In my capacity as a freelance English-Chinese translator, I offer certified document translations of many different official papers. These include birth certificates, degree certificates, school leavers’ reports, marriage/divorce certificates etc. My translations are intended for use in the UK. I use the simplified Chinese written language system.
I offer a 24-hour turnaround on certified translation services. The delivery of notarised translations depends on the availability of the notary public.
For general information on the process of certifying translations, please visit our certification pages. There you’ll find a detailed description not only of the UK certification process but also of Chinese certification rules.
English-Chinese interpreter (Mandarin)
I am an experienced Mandarin Chinese to English interpreter.
The main spoken language in China is Mandarin. My qualifications include an MA in Interpreting and Translation from the University of Lancashire (2010). What is more, I also obtained the Chartered Institute of Linguists’ Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (English Law) in 2009.
The Mandarin Chinese interpreting services I can offer are therefore extensive.
- I am an experienced Business and Conference Interpreter. As such I have worked for the Ministry of Health, British Council and the UK Cabinet Office.
- As a legal interpreter, I have been employed by the police, courts, law firms, immigration, prison and probation services.
- In my role as Chinese community interpreter I have worked for the NHS, Job Centre Plus, local authorities and in educational facilities.
- Last but not least I offer private interpreting services for weddings, commercial and educational purposes.
Chinese Business Support Services
Finally, I can provide bespoke cultural awareness training to those who seek to establish trade links with China, visit the country on business or relocate there.
The purpose of the course is to help prepare for dealings with Chinese people in formal and informal settings.
Some key topics that may be covered include: building strong interpersonal relationships with Chinese people, effective cross-cultural communication, Chinese social etiquette and protocol, business entertaining the Chinese way and preparing for trips/relocation to China.
My rates as a freelance English to (simplified) Chinese translator
My translation rates start at £70.00 per 1000 words. The minimum charge for short texts is £30.00. Please send the document through for an exact quotation.
As a Mandarin Chinese interpreter, my rates start at £30.00 per hour for a minimum of two hours. If you email me your job requirements I will send you a detailed quotation.
I accept bank transfers, cheques and PayPal payments.