Austrian certification rules for translated documents
Who can certify a translation in Austria?
The Federal Law on Sworn and Certified Court Experts and Interpreters (SDG) defines Austrian certification rules.
In accordance with this law, applicants seeking incorporation in the List of Court Interpreters must prove professional experience as interpreters and/or translators.
- Professionals who have higher education translator and/or interpreter training must provide proof of two years’ professional work.
- Other applicants must prove five years’ professional work immediately preceding registration.
According to Austrian certification rules, a panel of experts checks translators’ applications. To cover the cost of this panel, the translator must pay a sizeable application fee.
How is a translation certified in Austria?
Austrian certification rules on the procedure of certifying a translated document are very strict.
- Only translators included in the List of Court Interpreters can certify translated documents.
- The certification wording is: “I hereby certify under my oath the full conformity of the above translation with the original/transcript/photocopy attached/seen by me”. All other wordings are invalid.
- To be valid, the document has to contain details of place and date of certification and the translator’s seal and signature.
Does Iolante have a certified translator in Austria?
At the time of writing (January 2017) we have no sworn translator in Austria.
However, our Austrian-based German-Italian translator offers a variety of other professional translation services.
Do I need a sworn translator for an Austrian document I intend to use in the UK?
If you have an Austrian document, such as a birth, marriage or divorce certificate, and need the translation for a UK authority, you can use a translator who lives in the UK.
While the UK has no sworn translators, a qualified translator can self-certify their translation (which is usually sufficient for UK use) or go to a notary public to obtain a sworn translation.